Offline Capabilites

vtorres

Offline Capabilites

Post by vtorres » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on a web app that needs to handle brief loss of connection, continue to work while offline and understand when back online. We've run some internal tests with the Community Edition hosted in a Ubuntu AWS instance and we found out that OnlyOffice does handle connections going down but it can take a while to detect that depending on the browser and it doesn't always pick up the connection being back. I guess what I want to know is what is the official story around the handling of connection issues by OnlyOffice. I couldn't find any documentation around this apart from the obvious desktop apps which is a no go for us. Is there any official documentation around this?

Many thanks,

Vitor

Maxim

Re: Offline Capabilites

Post by Maxim » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 am

Hello!
Is there any official documentation around this?
There is no, but what exactly you would like to know?
continue to work while offline and understand when back online
In what cases you need to understand to get back online?

vtorres

Re: Offline Capabilites

Post by vtorres » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically I want to know how OnlyOffice behaves when it goes offline, i.e. when an internet connection breaks. Is it supposed to handle being offline for a while? Does it buffer the user interactions in the browser until the connection is back on? Or does it need constant connection?
Our tests suggest that you can still work for a while on a document if the internet goes down but obvious things don't work like adding images or change templates (presentations). After a few minutes you're put in read-only mode. When the connection is restored, OnlOffice doesn't pick it up and the solution is to refresh the browser window which risks people loosing their work. This is what we found and we'd like to know if this is inline with your expectations or if there's something we can do to mitigate this.

Thanks.