Try the fastest and simplest way to install ONLYOFFICE

Newbie question on offline access

Suggestions on Document Server Installation/Functionality

Newbie question on offline access

Postby nommaz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 am

What is the best practice for allowing everyone in an organization to have offline access to Project and Common documents they can view/edit?

using owncloud for this seems awkward as rights would need to be managed in both places, there would be an additional level in the folder structure under common, and also no way to do it for projects.

Thanks
nommaz

Re: Newbie question on offline access

Postby Maxim » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:38 am

Hello!
Clarify your need please, it seems to me i don't understand your post correctly. If you're offline you don't have any access i suppose.
Maxim

Postby nommaz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:41 pm

You can add 5 type of accounts to OnlyOffice: google box dropbox onedrive Ownloud/webdav.

Each one of these systems has a native file sync tool for all major OS for offline access to files.

Yet onlyoffice doesnt support the concept of file symc natively, i am surprised this want a big need early on and still doesnt exist in a sophisticated product.

When i am on an airplane and want to work on a project related document because i just had a great idea, i will have to wait because i didn't previously think to download the document to my pc :(

Is there a reason why the concept is online only with no automated offline support?
nommaz

Postby nommaz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Would appreciate if you could confirm there is no way to have offline access to project (and other shared) documents other than downloading and uploading. And also that this is not something of interest to product management.

Seems so fundamental to me that i am worried it is there but i couldnt find it
nommaz

Postby Maxim » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:04 am

Hello!
It's a great idea to synchronize files, but there's a problem that OnlyOffice is designed for possibility to co-edit files, projects and so on. If in case of using dropbox it's necessary but in case of using co-editing mode it's a problem. Let's imagine you are on the board of an airplane and you have no online access to your project files, but you have synchronized copies and you put some changes into the files and at the same time your colleague do the same but online. What will happen after landing and your changed files are online? What version of changed files to choose - yours or your colleague? This is one of the reasons why OnlyOffice doesn't work like dropbox or googledrive. That services just keep files, you are not able to change files simultaneously with other users. OnlyOffice is intended to co-editing files, projects, documents.
Maxim

Postby mus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:51 pm

OnlyOffice is intended to co-editing files, projects, documents.

But as nommaz states, you can already have that feature using a third-party account. I was super happy to have the ability to make a large word doc offline in MS Word, then put it in my owncloud and review it together with a client online. Of course there is a danger of the offline version overwriting the online version at the nxt sync, but the same applies when two offline users upload the same file. This is very similar to the google docs 'offline' mode in chrome and at first sight, works nicely

HOWEVER i have now seen two times in a week when the owncloud integration apparently was not reliable. We are evaluating our own oo community server at the moment:

1. User A has a DOCX in his owncloud-account which is linked to oo and shared with a group of people via oo's sharing feature
  2. User A can now edit the file together with B. The changes get reflected in the owncloud with a few minutes of delay.
  3. User C comes in and can also edit the file, but does not see the other two users (or their edits) at all.
  4. the edits that C does never make it to the owncloud server. There is no error message for C
  5. A noticed an error message "Der Inhalt des Drittanbietersordner (sic) ist nicht verfügbar. Versuchen Sie das Konto wieder zu verbinden" after leaving the document, however A's edits were saved and the document was never unavailable for A

Could this have to do with a flaky connection to the owncloud server? How can i debug / diagnose this?
mus

Return to Document Server