Try the fastest and simplest way to install ONLYOFFICE

How to make my onlyoffice document server high available

Suggestions on Document Server Installation/Functionality

Document Server 3.0 High Availability

Postby tdsolsvp » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:53 am

We are exploring Document Server 3.0 on Linux, wondering how to make it high available?
tdsolsvp

How to make my onlyoffice document server high available

Postby anurag.tdsols » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:58 am

I have installed standalone onlyoffice document server in linux. I wanted to make it high available with 3 instances.

Any inputs on how to synchronize process between 3 instances or how to make document server "high available" ?
anurag.tdsols

Re: How to make my onlyoffice document server high available

Postby Dean » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Hello,

Could you please provide us a more particular description of the question?

If you want to "divide" ONLYOFFICE DS on three different servers please give us some more information on them.
Dean

Postby tdsolsvp » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Here is the use case we are trying to solve, we have a web portal application where document creation is one of the feature and this feature is supported through onlyoffice document editor.
So when user wants to create a document, we launch onlyoffice document editor session into browser from a remote onlyoffice document server.

Let’s say I have three nodes of onlyoffice document server running behind our portal application, we want to address below three situations.

1. We want to distribute the onlyoffice document editor traffic to all three onlyoffice document editor server and balance the load.

2. If one of the onlyoffice document server node goes down for some reason, we want to route all the traffic to remaining onlyoffice document server nodes without user getting effected of server failure. This means the user work-in-progress document should be available to other nodes in the cluster to serve the user.

3. Our application user base is expected raise significantly in upcoming months. If we reach max capacity that can be served by three onlyoffice document server nodes capacity, then we want to add additional document server nodes to the cluster.

For easy illustration, I am attaching a diagram.

This is an attempt to enable Onlyoffice Document Server in High Available, Scalable and Fault tolerant.

Please advise how we can address all three points listed above.
Attachments
OnlyOfficeDocumentEditor.png
OnlyOfficeDocumentEditor.png (38.85 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
tdsolsvp

Postby Dean » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:50 am

The answer to your question is rather difficult. Look. You can share traffic between multiple servers, but it is important to have an opened session with one document on one machine. If it fails, all changes and sessions data will be lost.

Not to let this happen, all the data of redis, mysql and rabbit-mq and their sessions need to be stored separately. We added this unofficially to Doc Server so it wasn't tested and we don't have any instruction published for it yet. We will consider if it is possible to add it.
Dean

Return to Document Server