Try the fastest and simplest way to install ONLYOFFICE

Charts lose colour when converted from PDF

Suggestions on Document Server Installation/Functionality

Charts lose colour when converted from PDF

Postby Arras » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 am

I'm running into an issue with importing PDF files which contain Excel-generated charts. The DOCX version of the document can be imported properly with all charts intact, but the PDF version of that same document imports with all of the charts rendered in grey. Images convert properly (with colour), but chart objects end up grey. I'm assuming this is a bug in the converter code somewhere?

As a side issue, this leaves me wondering if it is possible to disable the conversion of PDF files (since they can't be edited anyway)?

Failing that, is there any way to generate an external link to download the original file (i.e. the raw PDF that was uploaded)? An external link is of no use if it just points to the document viewer (which only shows the broken, converted version).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Arras

Re: Charts lose colour when converted from PDF

Postby Arras » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 am

Replying to my own thread, I think the issue has to do with how the Word document was converted to PDF. The original document was produced in Word from Office 2011 (Mac) and saved as a PDF. When I open the same Word document in Office 2016 (Mac) and try to save it to PDF I am offered the option of "Best for electronic distribution" or "Best for printing". If I select "Best for electronic distribution" it produces a PDF which preserves the colour information for charts, but if I choose "Best for printing" it does not. In other words, it looks like the OnlyOffice document converter does a better job with newer versions of Office.
Arras

Re: Charts lose colour when converted from PDF

Postby Maxim » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 am

Hello Arras!
Any ideas or suggestions?

Have no idea
Maxim

Return to Document Server