Try the fastest and simplest way to install ONLYOFFICE

Importing or using documents from smb share

Importing or using documents from smb share

Postby hmontoliu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:20 am

Hello

I'm using a docker onlyoffice document server

I want to import a bunch of files from our current file server (SMB). Is it possible? In onlyoffice GUI I haven't find a way to accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated

Also I wonder if it's possible to use directly the SMB share instead of importing the docs.

Thank you in advance
hmontoliu

Re: Importing or using documents from smb share

Postby Maxim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Hello!
You can import the file any way you like! The point is that you generate the links to files correctly, according the information described in documentation.
https://api.onlyoffice.com/editors/open
https://api.onlyoffice.com/editors/config/document
Maxim

Postby hmontoliu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi! Maxim, thanks for your quick response, but I'm not sure if I understand your point

I have 100000 documents in a SMB (traditional) windows fileserver and I want to import them to our onlyoffice document server. How can I approach this request?

Thanks in advance
hmontoliu

Postby Maxim » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:42 am

Hello!
First of all, for your understanding i must say that your SMB windows fileserver is your storage of document files (you keep your files here). There is no need to keep them in the Document Server. ONLYOFFICE Document Server doesn't keep any files! The goal of Document Server is to process the files on your SMB fileserver. If someone wants to edit or to open any document he launches a browser and according to specified link open a document in a browser which is located on your SMB fileserver. At this moment your SMB fileserver sent a request to the document editing service (Document Server) and when the file is ready the document editing service (Document Server) transfers the file to the browser.
How to do that please learn attentively here https://api.onlyoffice.com/editors/open
Maxim

Postby knist » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi, I have the same question, but I did not understand the relationship of the links with importing large amounts of files into OnlyOffice.
Or how to use the Samba server itself to maintain the current structure of folders and files without having to send one by one.

Thanks in advanced.
knist

Postby Maxim » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am

Hello!
knist wrote:the relationship of the links with importing large amounts of files into OnlyOffice.

1. The browser document manager receives the list of all documents available to the user from the document storage service.
2. The document identifier and the linkto it at the document storage service are sent using the JavaScript API to the document editor.
3. The document editor forms a request to the document editing service for document opening. The document editor uses the document identifier and its link received from the document manager

knist wrote:Or how to use the Samba server itself to maintain the current structure of folders and files without having to send one by one.

Thanks in advanced.

There is no way and no need to download all files and folders - user choose the file(s) he needs in the Document Manager.
Maxim

Return to Documents