Try the fastest and simplest way to install ONLYOFFICE

SMTP Settings Not Working

Adding a first (new) user / portal activity notifications / email / chat

SMTP Settings Not Working

Postby avataroff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 pm

I've installed the community and document servers on on two machines running Ubuntu 16.04 using the Debian install method. Everything works except for SMTP settings and, naturally, no activation emails. I'm using Outlook, and the settings they provided are:

Server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS

I have tried it with SSL enabled and disabled, I have tried using the full email address and just the name before the @, and I keep getting "Error while executing the operation." when I click Send Test Mail. I've also tried just setting up the same email account in the email module to see if that connects.

I keep getting this error: Smtp.ConnectAsync timeout. When I check my account in Outlook it shows that a successful IMAP automatic sync was made from the server's IP address, but obviously nothing is working. What am I missing?

Re: SMTP Settings Not Working

Postby Maxim » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 am

Hello avataroff!
You should give access to the connection from server in your account at Microsoft. There are buttons like "It's me" and "It's not me".
Maxim

Postby avataroff » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm not given that option. The only option I have is to click "secure your account", and when I do it says that it believes the login was from me. My understanding is that you only see the option of "it's me" or "it's not me" if Microsoft believes the login to be unusual. I then downloaded and used Thunderbird on my own computer to access the account and it worked fine. Looking at the log it shows the exact same results on Microsoft's end. With that, I don't believe Outlook is the problem. What else can I try?

Postby Maxim » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 am

Hello avataroff!
We tried to reproduce again but have no luck.
1 Please specify vesion of servers
2 Try to connect using POP3
3 Send us Communty Server's logs please /var/log/onlyoffice to check this.
Maxim

Postby avataroff » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:38 pm

I got it to work. Mostly. Here's the quick bullet points and I'll explain more underneath:
1. Outlook doesn't work still
2. Gmail works, but not the way documented

I've wanted to use Gmail since the beginning, but it never worked so I tried using Outlook. Outlook didn't work so I wrote on here hoping for some answers. After doing this I went back and tried a few more things. When setting up Gmail previously I only attempted to alter the smtp settings for activation links because I don't plan on using the Mail module. As stated, this never worked. This time I attempted to set up the Gmail account in the Mail module since I haven't tried that yet. Surprise surprise, it worked! I quickly deleted the account and attempted to set it up again, this time checking the advanced settings. What I discovered is that the Mail module populates the smtp setting with "smtp.googlemail.com", whereas both OnlyOffice and Google themselves say that you should connect to "smtp.gmail.com". I then changed that bit in the smtp settings and everything is working. Test emails work, activation emails work.

With all of that, it very well could be a problem with Outlook or the settings. Since this doesn't seem to be an issue that others are having and you aren't able to reproduce it, I'm not going to pursue the issue any further. Thank you for your replies and willingness to help!

Postby Maxim » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 am

Hello avataroff!
Anyway thank you for you info!
Feel free to contact us!
Maxim

Postby nazir_zn@yahoo.com » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 pm

avataroff wrote:I got it to work. Mostly. Here's the quick bullet points and I'll explain more underneath:
1. Outlook doesn't work still
2. Gmail works, but not the way documented

I've wanted to use Gmail since the beginning, but it never worked so I tried using Outlook. Outlook didn't work so I wrote on here hoping for some answers. After doing this I went back and tried a few more things. When setting up Gmail previously I only attempted to alter the smtp settings for activation links because I don't plan on using the Mail module. As stated, this never worked. This time I attempted to set up the Gmail account in the Mail module since I haven't tried that yet. Surprise surprise, it worked! I quickly deleted the account and attempted to set it up again, this time checking the advanced settings. What I discovered is that the Mail module populates the smtp setting with "smtp.googlemail.com", whereas both OnlyOffice and Google themselves say that you should connect to "smtp.gmail.com". I then changed that bit in the smtp settings and everything is working. Test emails work, activation emails work.

With all of that, it very well could be a problem with Outlook or the settings. Since this doesn't seem to be an issue that others are having and you aren't able to reproduce it, I'm not going to pursue the issue any further. Thank you for your replies and willingness to help!

I have tried this and I am still having issues. The notifications didnt work and then started working without reason, and now they have stopped working again.
I have set up my System SMTP settings and tested them there and it works fine.
I have connected the gmail account to the mail module and if i compose an email manually, then the email works fine
but I still cannot get activations or notification email to work.
nazir_zn@yahoo.com

Postby Maxim » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:11 am

Hello nazir_zn@yahoo.com!
Attach screenshot of SMTP settings please.
I have set up my System SMTP settings and tested them there and it works fine.

What do you mean by this?
Maxim

Return to Notification issues