Try the fastest and simplest way to install ONLYOFFICE

Performance of spreadsheet editor with larger documents.

Tech support for Enterprise Version

Performance of spreadsheet editor with larger documents.

Postby rudais » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 am

Hello,

I have had some complaints from user about spreadsheet editor being slower with larger documents. Is there anything that I can do to help in this situation?

Server is running on docker and VM on which all that is installed has more than enough resources allocated to it.
User workstations are also modern and should not have performance issues. Maybe some specific web browser is preferred for best experience in this case? We in our company are mainly using Chrome and Firefox.

I remember from server system requirements that it had need for decent swap size, does it play any role in server responsiveness if needed I could move swap to ram disk.

Or this problem is mainly related to application processing in browser on client end?
rudais

Re: Performance of spreadsheet editor with larger documents.

Postby Maxim » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 am

Hello!
I have had some complaints from user about spreadsheet editor being slower with larger documents.

How slow?
I remember from server system requirements that it had need for decent swap size

Yes, it requires min. of 4 Gb. for swap size, of course if there is a possibility to increase you should to 6-8 Gb.
I could move swap to ram disk.

I do not think that productivity will grow significantly
this problem is mainly related to application processing in browser on client end?

Partially yes. The data between user's browser and server always "play pin pong"
Maxim

Postby rudais » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

How slow?

There is a noticeable delay when scrolling through spreadsheet. Colleagues that reported the problem also say that they notice larger cpu load spikes when working with the spreadsheet.

We just checked some more and it seems that Chrome has some issues with this. If we open the same document in FireFox then it's working fine. CPU cores also does not go above 40% when browsing through Firefox instead of 70%+ that chrome had.

Also it seems that this is a problem just on weaker CPU's people that reported problem were on laptops with 2core/4thread i7-6700U cpus. While on my workstation with 8core/16thread ryzen 7 I do not notice problems when using chrome.

I'll close the topic as solved as it ended up being browser gimmick that causes the problem with performance.

TL;DR - Chrome can cause some performance issues on weaker devices in spreadsheet editor.
rudais

Postby Maxim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 am

Hello rudais!
Laptop machines are slower than ordinary PC.
Maxim

Return to Enterprise Version